Monday, December 1, 2008

My Grandmother

So on Thanksgiving Day I went to see my grandparents. All was going well until my Grandmother mentally collapsed an hour in. It was quite sad to see someone who once had so much energy fall apart after one hour out of bed. Her downfall only started about a year and a half ago and now she has lost the motivation to do almost everything. The worst thing about it is she refuses to go into a nursing home and she refuses to receive any help. Most days she sits on her bed and watches history channel without even eating a single meals all day. And it is not like she is a baby and you can tell her when she needs to eat and when she needs to move into a nursing home. Unless we can declare her incapable of caring for herself in front of a judge we cannot do anything about it. At least about five months ago she gave up driving on her own free will. It was a hard step for her because she loved to drive but in her condition she was going to kill herself or someone else. It is very sad that this thanksgiving might be the last time I ever get to see my grandmother, must be even harder on my mother because that is her mother who is about to pass away.

No comments: