Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Foam Trays

I was thinking back on my post about recycling and trash on campus and realized that I must have thrown away at least 30 of those ‘to-go’ boxes already and its not even the end of September. The cafeteria really needs to do something about this because I (and im sure others) don’t want to eat in the cafeteria for every meal. The first solution that came to mind is I know the cafeteria puts a charge on using these ‘to-go’ boxes so what if they reduced the cost of your meal if you cleaned your previous box and came back to the cafeteria with it. But how would they know that the box that you are standing in line with is truly a ‘old’ box? This brought me to my next solution which was for the university to give every on campus student a metal container of their own at the beginning of the school year and let the student bring the metal container to the dining hall when he knows he is going to eat out. This way the people at the registers would actually know if you are using one of their foam boxes or your own box and could reduce the price of your meal accordingly. Of course this brings of the problem that not everyone wants to walk back to their dorm just to obtain their metal box to get reduced price. There really is not a good solution for this problem, and I sit here wondering how many foam boxes I will go through during the course of the year.

No comments: