Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Living in a Dorm Room Close to the Equator

It is boiling in my suite right now; I don’t think I have ever been this hot when it is 40 degrees outside. For some reason my suite mates turn up the heat to 85 degrees which is insane! Not only is it an extreme waste of energy and terrible for the environment, it is the best way for us all to get sick. It is so warm in here that we think it will be warm outside and under dress while going out with the result of getting sick. And that is exactly the case, everyone in my suite is always sick for this exact reason. Most nights I sleep with my window fully open and my fan blowing on full speed. I have never been so hot at night before. I think one morning I woke up sweating, went outside my room to the thermostat and it read 91 degrees. That is just appalling…I come from a household where the temperature was always 65 degrees and it was your own job to regulate your own temperature by wearing more or less cloths. It is a lot easier to warm up by putting on more cloths than it is to cool down. When I attempt to go talk to them about it they say that they like it warm because, and I quote, “they are from Africa”. That comment kind of disturbs me because they are not from Africa. I know for a fact that they were born in PG County. The university should not trust us with a thermostat because we cannot control it and it is a extreme waste of energy, especially with my window open every night trying to cool off.

No comments: